Guidance on specimen collection, packaging and transport, and rejection criteria.
A properly collected specimen is critical to quality test results. Ensure that:
- The correct specimen type is collected.
- The correct amount is collected.
- The specimen is collected in the right container with any necessary additives.
- The specimens are collected following safe working practices.
- Ensure that there is no contamination from external sources when collecting
- microbiology and virology samples.
- Clean surgical instruments and surgical trays must be used when collecting Histopathology samples.
- The container is securely sealed and labelled.